Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Playing with sketches

I am working tonight at improving the scans of my sketches- and as I began to try some different manipulations of my sketches, I realized that the finished products are no longer my sketches...rather they are are somewhat like astrophotos in that they are processed.  Not sure how I feel about this, but regardless, it is still fun and still creating astro art!

A couple valuable resources that I have found so far-  One is a freeware program called Gimp - the Gnu Image Manipulation Program.  I have only been playing with it for an hour or so, but it seems very powerful.  Not quite adobe photoshop but featured well beyond anything I will ever need.  Definitely worth checking it out.

Another great resource is the website of Mr. Jeremy Perez- The Belt of Venus.  Mr. Perez is an incredible artist and his website has numerous resources for sketching, including this tutorial regarding digitizing of sketches.

One thing you will notice in the image below is that I decided to reduce the size sof the images I post on the blog to more closely match the original drawing.  This will be a better persepctive on my drawings for the viewer as what happened in the earlier posted drawings of the Eskimo Nebula and Mars is that the sketches were too magnified and things that are unnoticed in the original are glaring in the digital versions.  Finally, for kicks, I decided to take the digitized sketch of the Eskimo and turn it from a negative sketch into a positive sketch.  In other words, the black pencil on white paper sketch is a negative of what one sees in the eyepiece.  Light areas are dark in the drawing and vice-versa.  In the positive sketch, the background is dark and the observed stars and features are light. 

Click on the thumbnail and tell me- Do you like it?






No comments:

Post a Comment