Sunday, January 19, 2014

Jupiter meets the Stellarvue

Recently, I mounted my 90mm Stellarvue triplet in a side by side configuration with my Celestron 11-inch Edge HD SCT.  This has turned out to be an exceptional set up combining the high powered views the C11 can deliver, with a small telescope that can provide the wider context.  While the Stellarvue is by any definition a small telescope,  it excels at wide field views of the Milky Way as well as views of extended objects such as the Great Andromeda galaxy or the Pleiades.  It is also useful for observations of Jupiter and Saturn as among planets these two have enough angular diameter to reveal details.  Last night seeing conditions were better than they had been in some weeks and observing Jupiter revealed a great bit of detail in both telescopes.  I wondered how an image through the Stellarvue would compare to the C11 and so took my first ever image of Jupiter through my Stellarvue 90mm Triplet.  I was surprised at the level of detail, given the small aperture.

The image below is a stack of about 600 frames taken using a 2x barlow and my ASI120MC camera.  The Great Red Spot is actually in the southern equatorial band on Jupiter, but the composition was much nicer placing south up in the image.  Io is the moon at far left and Ganymede at far right.


No comments:

Post a Comment