Monday, August 18, 2014

Monsoon lightning

This weekend I received a new lens that I purchased specifically for taking exposures of the Milky Way, a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8.  This lens has a very good reputation for night time photographing of the skies and I was very happy with my first couple of shots (posted yesterday).  Despite the lens being fully manual with no electronic connection to the camera making focusing in the dark a challenge, the images are sharp and colors are rendered quite nicely.  Last night we had widespread thunderstorm activity throughout the Tucson valley and while we did not receive much rain at my house there was quite a bit of lightning.  I managed to capture the image below with the new lens; it is a 4 second exposure at ISO 400.  The raw file was processed in Photoshop and reduced in size for bandwidth purposes.  The picture was taken at 7:40 PM and it was quite dark out.  The illumination you see is primarily from the lighting itself.




No comments:

Post a Comment