Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Solar imaging experiment

I wanted to try out a little filtration when taking images of the Sun, as I was having to capture images at 1/4000 of a second which is the fastest my canon T2i will allow.  While spots have been sharp, I suspected that being able use a slower shutter speed may allow me to capture a little more of the granulation in the photosphere...so yesterday I picked up an Orion 2-inch moon filter (13% transmission) to attach between my Herschel Prism and the camera.  This morning I went out before heading to work and snapped off several pictures.

I was using the program Backyard EOS, so was able to establish up front what settings I wanted for a series of 20 exposures before running inside the house to continue getting ready for work...the slowest shutter speed I set was 1/800 of a second...turns out, I should have tried a few perhaps even slower.  I'll try that tomorrow.

Below are two images fro this morning that I believe show the granulation a little better.  The first is 1/800 of a second, and the second image is 1/1000 of a second, both at ISO 100.  I am partial to the 1/800 of a second exposure as it is inherently brighter, which is why I am wondering if a slightly slower shutter speed would still allow me to capture some granulation and provide a brighter image.  Anyway, here are the pictures and I would love some feedback.

Click the images to enlarge



No comments:

Post a Comment