Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mothers Day Sun

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there, especially the ones for whom I am about to prepare brunch: My favorite super saucy spouse - Beth; and of course our own Mom's Lynne and Wanda.

I awoke this morning much earlier than the family and set up my Stellarvue 90mm refractor to observe the Sun in white light. Seeing was quite good with only a gentle breeze and numerous spots.  I brewed some coffee, grabbed my pencil and clipboard and headed out to make a sketch of the Mothers Day Sun...and much to my surprise in the 15 minutes I was inside the gentle breeze had become 10-15 mph gusts!  Needless to say, this made sketching difficult.  Below is my sketch completed at 1500 UT (8:00 Am MST).


At the time of my sketch, the Sun was at an altitude of 31 degrees and an azimuth of 87 degrees.  We are in Carrington rotation 2136, and the Official NOAA sunspot number for today is 145.

No comments:

Post a Comment